Houston Child Custody and Relocation Information

Photo of a HouseJohn K. Grubb & Associates, P.C., is a Houston family lawyer dedicated to resolving the family law issues of our clients. We understand the delicate nature of divorce settlements and child custody arrangements and we strive to make the transition to a new family structure as painless as possible. One issue that many of our clients face is relocation by the custodial parent after a child custody arrangement has already been entered into by the parents. In such cases, we advise that you contact Houston child custody attorneys who can examine your circumstances and help you modify your child custody agreement, if necessary.

Modifying a Child Custody Agreement as a Result of Parental Relocation

Any parent relocation issues that affect a child custody arrangement are governed by the Uniform Child Custody Jurisdiction and Enforcement Act (UCCJEA), which was adopted by the State of Texas in 1999. Under the UCCJEA, any custodial parent who moves to another state or more than 100 miles from the non-custodial parent must provide a minimum of 60 days notice to the non-custodial parent. Once notice is given, the spouses must work to modify the child custody arrangement to account for any changes in visitation schedules, holidays, summer vacations and any details regarding travel expenses and this agreement must be approved by the court prior to the move. If the parents are unable to agree on a suitable modification, the court will amend the child custody agreement as necessary.

Typical long-distance visitation rules that arise from relocation of the custodial parent are as follows:

  • The custodial parent must pick up the child at the end of each visit with the non-custodial parent
  • The custodial parent must pay for an airline ticket or bus fare for the child if driving is not feasible
  • If the child is younger than five years of age, the custodial parent must pay for an airline ticket or bus fare for the non-custodial parent or another adult to accompany the child

However, these rules vary from case to case, so it is important that you seek the advice of an experienced Houston child custody lawyer if you or your former spouse are facing the possibility of relocation.

Providing Representation to Parents Facing the Possibility of Relocation

If you are facing the possibility of relocation by you or your spouse, the associates at our firm are available to assist you. We understand the importance of having access to your children, and we will use our experience and knowledge in child custody law to protect your rights regarding your children. Contact the Houston family lawyers at John K. Grubb & Associates, P.C., today to discuss modifying your child custody agreement.

Comments are closed.