What is Joint Custody and What Are Joint Custody Laws in Texas?

Let our Houston Child Custody Lawyer Explain

Photo of Home Issues

Understanding Joint Custody

Joint custody is a type of child custody arrangement that allows both parents to have custody of a child. There are two different types of joint custody:

  • Joint legal custody
  • Joint physical custody

If the parents have joint legal custody, both parents have the right to make decisions that may affect the child’s life, such as decisions about medical care, education, day care and religion. If the parents have joint physical custody, then the child lives with both parents on an alternating basis.

Issues Associated with Joint Child Custody Arrangements

Because of the complexity associated with joint custody arrangements, many issues may arise. Such issues include:

  • Who will have primary physical custody of the child (if applicable)
  • How often each parent will have custody
  • Who will have custody of the child during the summer and holidays
  • How the parents will jointly decide on which religion a child should follow or what type of educational decisions should be made
  • Which extracurricular activities a child should participate in
  • Whether there are issues of abuse

To help combat these issues, a professional mediator will often assist the parents in creating a parenting plan that details the child custody arrangement. However, if the parents cannot reach an agreement, a family law court will create a child custody agreement and any other arrangements must be approved by the court.

Providing Assistance in Joint Custody Cases

If you are considering a joint child custody arrangement for your child or if you are facing issues associated with a previously created child custody arrangement, a Houston child custody lawyer at John K. Grubb & Associates, P.C., is available to assist you. Our Houston child custody lawyers have experience in a wide variety of child custody issues, ranging from the initial determination of child custody to changing custody arrangements. For assistance with Houston child custody laws, contact an attorney at the Houston divorce law firm of John K. Grubb & Associates, P.C., today.

Comments are closed.